Course Welcome Videos
STEP 1: Preparing for recording
The Poorvu Center created the following video tutorial in response to a recommendation made by the Yale Faculty of Arts and Sciences. The tutorial outlines what a welcome message might include for fall 2020 courses.
STEP 2: Recording/Creating a Video
Faculty can use a number of tools and software programs to record their messages, including the following (click on the tool to view instructions)
1.1. Installing and Using Media Library (Panopto) Recorder
1.2. Recording your video using the Media Library (Panopto) Recorder
Click on the appropriate link below for more detailed instructions on how to record Media Library (Panopto) videos based on your operating system:
You can use the Zoom integration in your Early Course Sandbox (or official course site) to schedule a meeting that auto records. You can then use the scheduled meeting recording as a way to record your welcome video. You can find detailed instructions in our help article focused on how to create a welcome video using a scheduled Zoom meeting through Canvas.
If you record your video outside of Media Library, you will need to upload your file into Media Library after you have the file complete.
STEP 3: Modify Share Settings on Your Video
After your video is recorded/uploaded, you will need to modify the sharing settings on your welcome video so all Yale students will be able to view it.
- In the folder you saved the video, hover your mouse over your welcome video.
- From the options that appear, select the share option.
- In the pop-up menu, click on Specific People and change to Anyone at your organization with link.
STEP 4: Adding the Welcome Video to your Syllabus
NOTE: You must modify the sharing settings of your video in Media Library to make the video content visible to students via Yale Course Search.
In order for your video to be visible to students interested in taking your course and not yet enrolled, you must embed a video by hand instead of using the Panopto (Media Library) text editor button.
If you have any trouble with this process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have the video uploaded into the Media Library, you will need to put the welcome video on your Syllabus page.
- Go to the Media Library
- Click the Share icon next to the video you wish to embed.
3. Click the Embed link
4. Click Copy Embed Code and close the window.
5. Navigate back to your Syllabus Page, and click Edit in the top, right.
6. For FAS Courses with the Extended Course Description, scroll to the end of your syllabus to find and highlight the words "EMBED CLASS VIDEO HERE."
7. Click on the Insert/Edit Media button and click on the Embed tab. Paste the embed code into the window, and click OK.
8. Click Update Syllabus to save your changes.
NOTE: The Syllabus Editor does not have an auto-save feature. If you are making multiple edits to your Syllabus page in one session, we recommend that you frequently click the "Update Syllabus" to save your work before you move on to make more edits.