How do I use the Email Lists tool?
The Email Lists Tool is a tool that generates an email address for you to use to connect with the users in your course. The email addresses provided by this tool can only be emailed by official Yale email address of the instructors and TAs listed within the course site.
- Your course must be published and have the correct term (not default term) to use the Email List Tool.
- User must accept invitation to course to be added to the Email List.
- You must enable the email tool in order to use Email List Tool.
- Email list members are updated daily every 2 hours.
- Instructors/TAs can email all the course lists by default. If an instructor limits the TA’s course privileges to their enrolled section, then the TA will only be able to email sections in which they are enrolled.
- There is no central storage repository of emails sent to these email addresses. Instructors and TAs will need to keep their own copies of sent emails
Add the Email List Tool to Your Course Navigation
To use the email list tool, you must first add it to your course navigation.
1. Click "Settings" in the course navigation.
2. Choose the "Navigation" tab.
3. Click and drag "Email Lists" up to the enabled navigation item area.
4. Click Save.
Create the Email List
Note: For Spring 2020, Canvas course sites with 50 or more users will have their email lists automatically created. While instructors will still need to enable the tool as shown above, they will not need to follow steps 5-6. Please skip directly to the "Select and View and Email List" section of this guide to proceed.
5. The email list tool will now appear in your Course Navigation. Within your course navigation bar, click the "Email Lists" button.
6. Click "Create Email List". The “create email list” button will become disabled once pressed.
7. A new list is created and members populate. An update will run that picks up any changes in enrollment in your course. This will be reflected every two hours.
Select and View an Email List
8. After the email list has been created, you will see a drop down menu. From the drop down menu, select one of the available lists that have been created. Lists you have access to may include:
- All Course Members (does not include anyone with the role of "Grader" in your course)
- Individual Course Sections - if applicable (if you are using an umbrella or unofficial cross-listed site, you will see the different sections of the course which have been combined to create your full course roster)
- Individual Discussion/Lab Sections - if applicable (if you have official discussion/lab sections that the students must register for separately, they will also get a separate email list)
- All Graders - if applicable
- Graders for Individual Sections - if applicable
9. Once you have selected a list, click the "View Members" button. You will now see a full list of all of the people who are part of this list and the email address associated with each member.
10. At the top of the page, you will see the email address that you can use to email this group of users. Click on the email address or you can highlight and copy the email address.
Note: You can also click on an individual user's email address to send an email to just that user.
Open Email Client & Compose Message
11. Now go to your preferred email client (recommended email client is Outlook). paste the email alias into the "To:" area, and proceed with composing your email as you typically would.
Note: When you send a message to an Email Lists address, you will receive a copy of your message. Your copy will only show the Email Lists tool address in the "To" field.
For more help, please contact email@example.com.