How to Change the Course Participation Dates in your Canvas Course
Participation dates are determined by the term. However, this date can be overridden by going into the course settings.
Note: Changing end dates can be done by instructors prior to the term being put in the past. If the course is in the past, you will need to unlock the course.
To change the course participation dates:
1. Click on "Settings" from the course navigation.
2. Click on "Course Details" across the top of the page.
3. By default the course will have the participation set to Term. Click the down arrow next to Term and choose Course.
4. You can then update the start and/or end dates to the new dates you would like for your course to start and/or end.
*You will also notice the check boxes to restrict students from viewing the course before or after the course dates. If this is chosen, the course will not be visible to students, nor will it show up in their Canvas dashboard.
OPTIONAL: Restricting access before/after course dates
You can set up restrictions that prevent students from accessing the course content before the course begins and/or after the course ends. These optional settings are found just below the Start and End dates for the course. You may select the checkbox for the appropriate option(s) as desired.
5. Click "Update Course Details" at the bottom of the settings page to save the changes.
For more help, please contact email@example.com.