How to change your time zone setting
By default, all assignment due dates and calendar events in Canvas are set to Eastern Time (ET) because that is the location of Yale's primary campus. Individuals can change their personal time zone settings. If you change your time zone setting and create a new event/assignment, the date/time will appear in your selected time zone for you - but will appear for everyone else in their selected time zone.
NOTE: If you or your instructor is using any third-party tools or integrations, like Zoom, activities and events listed within these tools may not be automatically updated based on your Canvas settings. However, any associated Canvas calendar events for those activities will be updated. Check out the section below on how to update the time zone for your Zoom integration.
Update your time zone in Canvas
- Log into Canvas
- In the left side global navigation menu, click the Account button .
- In the pop-out, select Settings .
- On the next screen, click Edit Settings .
- The Time Zone option will become a drop-down menu. Click on the Time Zone drop-down menu  and then select the appropriate time zone for your location .
- Once selected, click the Update Settings button  to save your changes.
Update your time zone in the Zoom Tool
When you update your time zone setting for Canvas, all Calendar events will update. Because Zoom sessions scheduled through Canvas get an associated Canvas Calendar event, when you go to your Calendar area [A] (left), your Calendar events will reflect the time change. However - if you go directly to the Zoom Tool [B] in your course (right), the times will still be listed in the old time zone. This is because the Zoom Tool has its own time zone setting preference.
To update your Zoom Tool time zone:
- Go to one of your Canvas courses that has the Zoom Tool enabled.
- Click the Zoom Tool link  in the course navigation menu.
- At the top of the page, click the edit icon  next to the current time zone.
- In the pop-up, click on the Time Zone drop-down menu  and select the appropriate zone .
- Click the Update button .
When you return to the Zoom Tool, your session dates will reflect the time zone you selected:
For more help, please contact email@example.com.